Technical engineering leader with a career track record of delivering best-in-category products. Hands-on, self motivated with a strong bias towards action. A balanced blend of early stage startup and large company experience. Passionate about execution and delivery.
Partner Engineering Manager
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 2018-current
Building platform and tooling for conversational AI applications.
- Bot Framework, Node.js repo, dotnet repo
- Bot Framework Emulator repo
- Bot Framework Samples repo
- Bot Framework .NET Templates for C# repo
- Bot Framework Visual Studio Extension repo
- WebChat repo
VP of Engineering, Seattle
Instructure, Inc; Salt Lake City, UT — 2016-2018
Built a satellite engineering office in Seattle. Delivered 3 new products to market while maintaining a SLA of 99.9% uptime. Manage the engineering efforts of 4 product lines with teams in Seattle, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. Responsible for a product portfolio consisting of:
- Arc. A video platform for e-learning which allows instructors and administrators to measure and analyze interactive video learning engagement. Hired to take over an incubation, rebuilt the engineering team and ship the first commercial release in October of 2016. The service ended 2017 with 99.97% uptime.
- Canvas Analytics. A data analytics and visualization microservice providing features and functionality to help professors and teachers understand student performance. Started in Jan 2017, hired a new team in Seattle. The product went into alpha in Q1 of 2018.
- Practice. A video-based assessment and peer-review product. Acquired in November of 2017. The majority of the engineering team is in Philadelphia with a small footprint in San Francisco.
- Sistemic. An education-focused integration platform. Started in Jan 2017, hired a new team in Seattle to deliver platform components and API. This product allows the company’s in-house implementation consults to integrate new customer systems into Canvas, our flagship product. The product went into production in Q1 2018.
Co-founder/VP of Engineering
Highspot, Inc; Seattle, WA — 2011-2015
Co-founded a business SaaS company. Successfully raised Series A funding in October of 2014 (Madrona Ventures). Hired, mentored, coached the engineering team. Architected, designed and coded the product’s front-end. Managed all aspects of day-to-day engineering team responsibilities.
Product Unit Manager; Windows Azure
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 2008-2011
Delivered a set of PaaS offerings as part of Windows Azure 1.0. This was a cross-discipline product role managing a 50 person team that included engineering, quality assurance, product design, and service operations. In addition to product definition and delivery, I also delivered monthly business reviews to executive management which included product status, product strategy, risk assessments, technical deep-drives, partner and dependency reviews, pricing, and customer engagement data.
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 2006-2008
Returned to Microsoft to pursue an opportunity in cloud computing. Delivered on a short-term opportunity to rebuild the Visual Studio Team Foundation Server engineering team.
VP of Product Marketing
InSource Systems; Seattle, WA — 2003-2005
Co-founder of an early stage software startup. Defined product line, designed feature requirements, primary team member for customer engagements, did every venture capital presentation, participated in all key hiring activities, product feature requirements, and competitive analysis.
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 2003
Held an executive staff position that built and ran the performance team for Windows Communication Foundation components of .NET Framework. Managed a small “special ops” engineering team that wrote, measured, modified core code areas for improved performance. Also presented highly technical reviews for executive management on the state of software performance within Windows Vista.
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 1998-2003
Managed all aspects of the engineering teams that delivered the following commercial product releases:
.NET Framework 1.0/1.1, ASP.NET 1.0, ASP.NET Web Services 1.0/1.1, Windows Communication Foundation 1.0, Web Services Enhancements 1.0, Visual Studio Office Developer 1.0
Microsoft Corporation; Redmond, WA — 1992-1998
Coded features for the following commercial & research products:
Visual Studio, Visual InterDev, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Research “Tiger” streaming video server products.